Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Day 20 ~ Your Views on Drugs and Alcohol


I have talked about it before, and while it is something that I am, in a way, ashamed of, it is a big part of what made me who I am today.  I hate that saying sometimes, but when you can say it, and truly understand it - it works - it carries meaning.

I struggled with addiction for many years.  There are  few drugs that I never tried - even once just to say that I had tried it.  I used a needle one time, and much like the time I tried heroin - I thank a higher power that I was able to realize how fucking good it was, and to know that I needed to stay away from it.  I still don't know how I did it - I have a very addictive personality.  I have heard the term 'functioning alcoholic,' and for a long time it didn't make sense to me, but when I really looked back on those years it made perfect sense.  I was a functioning addict.  I held 2 jobs, paid rent, bills, a car payment, insurance - all of that adult shit.  I was just fucked up all the time.  I learned to still function while on my 4th day of being awake, or on so many pills I couldn't remember how many or what I took - chased with Tequila.  Sometimes that was just to get out of bed.

I went through something that turned that 'functioning' into barely able to do anything at all.  I sat on the bathroom floor of my loft apartment for 2 weeks surrounded by my own personal assortment of lucky charms, rolled up dollar bills, and bottles.  This was my low, my rock bottom.

I pulled myself out of it - I did it by myself.  I still don't know how I did it.  By this time I had pushed away the few people left that cared enough to stick around longer than the others.  I lie, a little.  It was in this time that the words of Layne truly broke through to me.  All else had failed me, but I found refuge in his understanding and sympathetic words. I felt not so alone - even though my shadow was my only friend.  It was writing and Layne.  I wrote letter after letter to him - never sent.  Shaking, sweating - we were going to kick this together - he had to.  I had to.  I held up my end of the deal.

I think having gone through an addiction gives you a whole new outlook or opinion of drug use.  I am 100% honest with Ashleigh, and I have made her sit and watch Intervention.
I am a lucky one.
A lot of those people are the lucky ones who make it.  More than that do not.
She is aware of that.  I think that she is scared of it.

So, after all of that my opinion is that drugs are very, very bad - but at the same time I get so aggravated that people are so quick to dismiss an addict and their behavior.  It is truly a disease that takes over your entire body, mind and fucking soul.  I understand.  I went through the process with 2 very good friends.  I lost them both, but so many times I wanted to throw my hands up and walk away - that only makes the need and the want worse.
It ignites the voices of doubt, and fear, and self-loathing.
I understood that.  The addict hears that you are leaving them, they feel that you don't care - not that it is out of love.

I knew that I would steer to the right with this and get off true topic, but it is hard not to.  I always feel the need to explain things, and then explain the explanation.

I never had a problem with alcohol, but have dealt with many others in the situation.  I don't feel like I can fairly give an opinion as before.  Oddly enough - I always have something to say, but with this I can't really say anything...this kind of bothers me.  I need to think about this -

...those that know me know I have no problem having a few Margarita's, shots of Patron, a glass of wine or way too many beers at Mardi Gras, but as far as drinking like I did when I was in my 20's?  Fuggit about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment