Saturday, March 12, 2011

Day 23 ~ Something You Wish You Had Done in Your Life.



...that's pretty obvious, huh?

I graduated high school, and left the 'girls home', and the last thing that I wanted to do was go to college.  I started working.  I loved the idea of finally being on my own, making my own money, and having the apartment, paying my own bills.  So that's what I did.

I was never really told that college was something that I HAD, rather - should do.  I didn't get that guidance from my family, and I sure as hell didn't get it where I was.  I remember my Junior year going to a seminar, or college prep thing or something like that, but I was never talked to about what I wanted to do.  

I am not blaming it all on that, obviously I knew that college was important, but I think things would have been different if I would have had a strong support system kicking my butt to do it.

I have a damn good job now, and I have excellent 'on the job' experience in what I do, but when I am looking for a job - none of that matters, and it sucks.

I stress to Ashleigh nearly everyday how important it is that she go to college.  I like the fact that the school district also stresses this starting very early.  They have workshops, college nights, and other events many times throughout the year - starting in 8th grade.  I am thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment